Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tofu with Peanut-Ginger Sauce

After spending the weekend traumatizing ourselves by watching Food, Inc., Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead consecutively on Netflix, the boyfriend and I have decided to shape up our eating acts.

Gone are the days of working late followed by rushed fast food runs for fat-laden sustenance!

Gone are the sodium-heavy frozen dinners for lunch!

Gone are the butter and jam smeared bagels gulped down each morning!

We are making a concerted effort to try out the much lauded "plant-based, whole foods" diet.

Or, in more conventional terms, mostly vegetarianism without all of the processed, GMO bullshit flooding the supermarket shelves.

I am making it a goal to cut out meat products completely - and the boyfriend still needs a gentle nudge to get fully on board.

My first challenge in the quest to convert the boyfriend to the green side: Prepare a meal with tofu that he actually likes.


Looking up vegetarian-friendly meal plans online so that I could easily plan a week's worth of meals and groceries all at once, I found myself staring down Eating Well. (A fitting name, I might add.)

I tried out their recipe for Pasta with Parsley-Walnut Pesto the other night, though since my kitchen is seriously lacking in the food processor department, it ended up being quite difficult to make the pesto using just my blender...

For tonight, I decided to take on the task at hand.

We quickly stopped by the grocery store for some last-minute ingredients and, while the boyfriend studied, I whipped up some...

Tofu with Peanut-Ginger Sauce

It seriously could not be more simple.

Whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, water, vinegar, minced ginger, minced garlic and honey to make the Peanut-Ginger Sauce.

I used Asian Citron Tea instead of honey because.... I hate honey.
Drain, pat dry, and slice up a block of extra-firm tofu. Sauté the tofu over high heat in a bit of olive oil until golden brown and edges begin to crisp.

Jiggly Block 'o Love
Mix in fresh spinach, sliced scallions and sauce until well-coated and spinach has wilted.


Then, serve! We opted for flat rice noodles for ultimate deliciousness.


It is maddeningly good.

The boyfriend was not scared off by it, but not quite won over. Something about the graininess of the sauce, which I chalk up to the consistency of the peanut butter - obviously nothing I did wrong...

You can find the whole recipe here.

Stay tuned for more tofu adventures!




Bon appétit,

Gabriella

No comments:

Post a Comment