Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Warm Turkey and Bruschetta Subs

The boyfriend and I went to the gym today and then he had to study for med school.

Books, papers, and iPad spread across the dining room table, he looks up at me and says:

It's okay. We've had a busy day. You don't need to make a big dinner. I'll just make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.


Peanut butter and jelly?

Surely I could do better than that.

So I offered to make a sandwich for him and this is what I came up with.


Warm Turkey and Bruschetta Subs

First order of business - make the bruschetta.

Combine the following:

1 can diced tomatoes, drained - preferably with onion or garlic

3 tablespoons grated Parmesan

2 tablespoons Italian dressing

2 teaspoons dried basil


Then, stack!

You'll need (for four servings):

2 loaves of Italian bread or other bakery loaf of your choice

2 ounces of Neufchatal or cream cheese

1 cup of baby spinach leaves

1 cup shredded Italian blend or Mozzarella cheese

8 slices of deli turkey per sandwich



Slice a loaf of Italian bread - or in our case, Target Artisan Garlic Loaf - into 6 - 8 inch sections. Then slice in half to fill.

Spread the bottom halves with 1/2 ounce cream cheese or Neufchatal per sandwich.

Add 1/4 cup baby spinach to each bottom half.

Layer turkey slices on baby spinach.

Top the turkey slices with 1/4 cup shredded cheese per sandwich.

Spread the top halves liberally with bruschetta. Very liberally.

It's broilin' time, bitches!

Set your oven to broil and broil the sandwiches open-face for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

Then put the tops on the bottoms and you've made yourself a very tasty sandwich.


This recipe can easily be halved for two, which is how I originally made this, you'll just have extra bruschetta. Not a bad thing at all. :)






Bon appétit,

Gabriella

2 comments:

  1. Why do all the interesting women that cook have to be taken:) Your blog is making me hungry... FOCUS JAMES FOCUS. Ok I am back. The reason that I came here was not to remind myself that I love food but to ask you to join me on a little adventure! I just started a psychology/philosophy blog and I was wondering if you would be interested in taking a look. Here is the address if you are interested, thanks:)
    http://therazorblade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah man, curse you gluten sensitivity! I'd so put up with a little gut ache for that sandwich! It's definitely my kinda food! YUMYUMYUM!!! :)

    ReplyDelete